Saturday, January 7, 2012

Raw Brownies

There is nothing I can do except send Sarah B – creator and mastermind behind the blog My New Roots – the most magnificent bunch of flowers imaginable. That or send her a marriage proposal. Unfortunately she’s already declined all of those in advance.

The other day I tried the decadent ‘raw brownie’ from My New Roots and boy oh boy, it is soooooo unbelievably good: rich, smooth and gooey all at once. I had to keep pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming, as well as suspiciously looking through the fridge to see if someone had replaced them with the baked Betty Crocker version. But no, I wasn't. And no, they hadn't been. And they’re BETTER than Betty Crocker. Now that’s saying something, 'cause Betty Crocker is top-of-the-line when it comes to packet mixes. Trust me; I’ve eaten a lot of packet mixes in my day.

I could rant on forever about how good these are so I’ll just let anyone who is curious try it for themselves – you won’t regret it. For all the health benefits (yes, health benefits!!) of these magic little square of joy, as well as for beautiful photos, check out the original recipe.

You can do as Sarah suggests and halve the quantities of the ingredients if cost is an issue. I did this because ensuring that each of the individual ingredients is of high quality is super important in this one.

Raw Brownies (from My New Roots)
Makes 30 brownies

Ingredients:
2 cups whole walnuts
2 ½ cups fresh dates, pitted
1 cup raw cacao 
1 cup raw unsalted almonds, roughly chopped
¼ tsp  sea salt
Directions:
1. Place walnuts in food processor and blend on high until the nuts are finely ground.
2. Add the cacao and salt. Pulse to combine. 

3. Add the dates one at a time through the feed tube of the food processor while it is running. The result should resemble cake crumbs but sticks together easily when pressed. Add more dates if the mixture doesn’t hold together.

4. In a large bowl (or the pan you intend to put the brownies in), combine the walnut-cacao mix with the chopped almonds. Press the batter into a lined cake pan or mould. Place in the freezer or fridge until ready to serve (note: these are easier to cut when they’re cold). Store in an airtight container…. If you have any left.

Ugh. I’m in love.

I vow never to bake a brownie again.

- Matilda

No comments:

Post a Comment