Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Beetroot Burgers

This morning I left for uni with all of the valleys of skin on my fingers holding rivers of reddy brown. No amount of scrubbing throughout the morning could rid my hands of the colour. In fact, I’ve given up on it completely and plan on letting time take its course. Such is life when dealing with beetroot.

The last couple of months have seen the odd beet pop out of the ground but in the last week, the results of mid-January’s sowing have finally started to appear. Up until now, we have mostly been boiling the beetroots to use in salads but today I was desperate to try a recipe I have had my eye on for a long time: beetroot and millet burgers from none other than Green Kitchen Stories.

Photo from Green Kitchen Stories 
Transient heavy rain meant that running training this morning was cancelled (I make myself sound really athletic here but the truth is that this was going to be my first session…) so after a little bit more of a lie in, I crawled out of bed and started to prep the ingredients for when I arrived home in the afternoon. More than anything else, there were only the 4 required beetroots in the fridge and I wanted to make sure I got to them before anyone else did!

Edit: half-way through writing this I read somewhere that lemon juice is the secret to getting the stains off. Or to wear gloves so as not to get it on you in the first place. Duh.

The only times I ever used to eat beetroot in burgers were those canned slices we got to put on top of our hamburger patty at school camps and the like. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the artificially sickly sweet taste of canned beetroot; but there’s nothing quite like the fresh stuff. As we’re currently trying to limit our intake of red meat at the moment, putting beetroot on top of the burger patty was sort of defeating the purpose. So that’s why the beetroot is the burger.

I would be kidding myself if I claimed mine turned out to look anything like Green Kitchen Stories’ (please ignore the slightly uncooked top of one and the very-crumbly side of another) but I’m pretty sure they tasted just as good. If not better: the beets only came out of the ground yesterday!! …And the eggs, out of the bums of the chooks the day before.


Beetroot & Millet Burgers (adapted from Green Kitchen Stories)
10 burgers

Ingredients:
1 cup water
½ cup millet (rinsed in hot water)
Salt
4 small beetroots
1 large carrot
1 onion
4 eggs
1 handful lemon balm (chopped)
Sea salt & pepper

Directions:

1. Bring the water to the boil in a small pot and add the millet and salt. Cook it on low for 10 minutes and set aside.

2. Grate the beetroots and carrot and dice the onion.

3. Mix millet, the grated vegetables, eggs and spices in a bowl. If you feel that the mixture is a bit too watery, add some flour, oats or more millet.

4.  Heat oil in a frypan and fry the burgers for a couple of minutes on each side on medium heat.

- Matilda

No comments:

Post a Comment