Sunday, June 24, 2012

Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes


It has been quite a while since I “baked”, in the traditional sense of the word. Since discovering David, Luise and Elsa’s blog Green Kitchen Stories, my kitchen experiments have taken a turn for the healthier and now hardly ever involve refined sugars and preservative-infused ingredients. These carrot cake cupcakes, which can also be made into a loaf or a cake or anything else you fancy, are yet another example of a recipe that excludes such things and are ridiculously easy – not to mention delicious. Although not a recipe from the Green Kitchen, if the Frankiels hadn’t opened up my mind and initiated the expansion of my limited cooking horizons, I would probably be celebrating the end of the uni semester with a  sugar-and-butter-laden-cream-plastered carrot cake. Not that there’s anything wrong with such cakes but, with this version, you can justify eating so much more than you would normally feel ‘allowed’ to do so ;-)

Another thing (and sorry, I’m getting a little bit off-topic here!) I love about Green Kitchen Stories is the way they promote their values and beliefs. There’s a focus on healthy living and feeling good, rather than simply being food snobs and simply refusing to use butter and  other “traditional” ingredients in their recipes. Ok, so maybe I’m just in love with the family, the blog, Sweden, Denmark, Lego and all things Scandinavian… you must admit though, their blog truly is fantastic.

What’s more, David and Luise are putting out a book at the end of this (?) year!! I’m so, so excited. Guess what I’ll be asking Santa to bring me for Christmas? Oh yes, I still believe in Santa Claus. “Believe and though shalt receive”…  it’s worked pretty well for me so far!

All this talk of Santa and cakes has made me want to have a Christmas in July celebration; it’s been far too long since I last ate a hearty roast dinner.

Happy holidays everyone!! 

Vegan Carrot Cupcakes (adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie)
Makes 12

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup shredded carrot
1T chia seeds dissolved in 3T water
½ tsp salt
5/6 cup applesauce or mashed banana (~160g)
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup + 2 Tbsp milk of choice (or even just water if you’re too lazy – or as I like to put it, environmentally-friendly – to open the fridge)
Just under ¼ cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ¼ tsp baking powder


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 180C.

2. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl, then mix the the carrot and wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.

3. Transfer mixture to lined/greased cupcake pan (I went for bit-sized baby ones).

4. Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on the degree of gooeyness you prefer (I love gooey because it gives a slightly buttery texture…).

5. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.


I suppose you could also ice your cupcakes with something (cream cheese or cashew-cream, maybe?)  if you would so wish but I love them plain. They’re perfect with a  cuppa, particularly on a dreary winter’s day.

 - Matilda


No comments:

Post a Comment