Monday, September 24, 2012

The Greenylicious Super Smoothie


Green smoothies have been ‘in fashion’ so to speak for quite a while. The idea of putting spinach and other greens in a smoothie seemed a bit odd to me at first, although I had no qualms about putting kale through the juicer for a green juice.

The third of the three food blogs I follow quite closely is Earth Sprout, run by the beautiful Elenore (the other two blogs being Green Kitchen Stories and My New Roots - of course!). Elenore is also from Sweden and by this stage you may have noticed a pattern… I LOVE SCANDINAVIA!!! One day I hope to move there and set up shop. Not literally a shop, but you know what I mean. Denmark or New Zealand or Tasmania are my ultimate dream spots, despite them being nearly exactly opposite in terms of climate and lifestyle from where I am now in the sub-tropics.

Anyway, getting back to Elenore, she is honestly THE most enthusiastic and life-loving person I have ever “met” – just reading her newsletters and twitter feed makes me smile! I haven’t tried too many of her recipes to date but it in a time in which I am struggling to find energy to fight off the last of the winter blues, it seemed natural to try her secret weapon… the Greenylicious Super Smoothie.  She claims this smoothie gives her super powers and she may be right. Even if it doesn’t and I’m just experiencing the placebo effect, it still tastes pretty darn good!! 

The basis for this drink is green leaves (duh). However, unlike a lot of green smoothie recipes you see out there, it doesn’t just use spinach. As Elenore says, “You want all kinds of different nutrients/benefits and it’s not a very good idea to stick to only spinach for 2 years. Just sayin!” It’s so nice to see some common sense out there on the internet!! As a health student, I often see nutrition advice and information that is just plain stupid (not to mention false). What is even more frustrating is that a simple click of a button allows people to share these ideas indiscriminately, without having checked reliable sources before doing so, potentially resulting in a bad idea going viral. This TED Talks video (which we were shown in a Pharmacology tutorial the other week when we were covering the fascinating yet confronting topic of antipsychotic medication) addresses these issues in part and is definitely worth a listen if you have a spare 15 minutes somewhere.

I seem to be very easily distracted today. Sorry for randomly switching from topic to topic… 

Ultimately, the point I’m trying to make is this: MAKE THIS SMOOTHIE!! And, don’t believe all the rubbish you read on the internet!  Despite what some fake doctor might say about the amazing healing qualities of the enzymes in spinach, you’re far better off taking Elenore’s advice and mixing it up with kale, sprouts, Swiss chard, parsley, beet greens, lettuce, etc, etc. Also, any enzymes you eat are denatured by stomach acid as soon as you swallow them so you’re pretty much wasting your time in that regard anyway (that’s why the lactase pills used by the lactose-intolerant are bundled up in all sorts of chemicals to stop them being exposed to your gastrointestinal tract until they reach the small intestine where they’re useful).

One final note, the photos for the next few posts might be even more dodgy than usual… We only have one camera to share between us as a family and it is currently overseas with my mum and a bunch of her students she’s looking after on a language trip. Lucky ducks they are. So yes, I'm stuck with my terrible phone camera for the next two weeks! 


THE Greenylicious Super Smoothie (adapted from Earth Sprout)

Serves two (or one hungry Matilda)

Ingredients:

1 cup cold, pure water
3 cups (heaped) of roughly chopped mixed leafy greens (organic and freshly picked if possible!)
½ avocado
1 banana
1 apple or other fruit.
1 ½ Tbsp freshly peeled & minced ginger
3 Tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of pure vanilla
Sweetener of choice (honey for me!) to taste

Directions: Prepare all ingredients and blend. Add ice cubes at the end if desired!

As you drift off into super-powered fairy land while drinking this (or better still, before you do so), I highly recommend going over to Earth Sprout and being inspired and motivated by her enthusiasm and passion. Thank you Elenore!!

- Matilda

2 comments:

  1. Oh dearest Matilda!

    What CAN I possibly say!? I am so honored by this post and your incredibly sweet honey words! Whenever you come to scandinavia to come by and I´ll make you something tasty + give you the hugest of hugs!

    Plus, baby - It´s awesome that you shed some light on the oh so important topic of nutritional facts (or wierd ones).

    You shine, girl!

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Elenore!! You have no idea how much it means to me for you to have read this! The opportunity to visit you would be amazing and I hope you don't mind if I take you up on your offer!! Hopefully by the then I will be a doctor and have even more knowledge about foodstuffs to share and compare <3

      Delete