Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Chocolate and Lime




I haven't spent much time at health food stores such as Mrs Flannerys. However, the first time I went, there were desserts and savoury cakes out to try and recipe leaflets to take home. It is possible that I bought something at the time, but the recipe for this chocolate lime pie/cake/tart is the only thing I remember from that first trip. I made it for my mum's work colleagues once and I think it went down ok - it certainly tasted pretty good to me. At any rate, the only one who voiced any complaint was a middle-aged perpetually-angry American man so I hardly think that should count. 

It's been a long time since I've made a raw chocolate dessert and finding the photos for this while clearing up some files on my laptop has made me want to get back into the kitchen. Uni hours have been a bit longer this year, and the workload that little bit more onerous. Although if I stopped procrastinating as much as I do and just knuckled down to work, I would probably have plenty of time to potter around in the kitchen! 



Chocolate Lime Ganache Tart (adapted from Mrs Flannerys)
 Makes one ~8” pie

Ingredients:

For the crust
2 cups raw pecans
¼ cup coconut sugar
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp raw cacao powder

For the filling (A)
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours
½ cup coconut oil
2 vanilla beans, scraped
½ cup filtered water
½ cup raw honey or agave nectar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lime (zest and juice)
½ tsp ground nutmeg

For the filling (B)
½ cup dates soaked in 1 Tbsp water for an hour, blended to form a paste
¼ cup tahina
1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
1 ½ cup raw cacao powder
¼ to ½ cup filtered water

Directions:

For the crust: Grease an 8”/20cm spring form pan with the coconut oil. Blend all other ingredients together in a food processor and press it evenly into the pan. Place in the fridge while making the filling.

For the filling: Blend all of the ingredients in list A in a food processor until smooth, then add the ingredients from list B until it has a smooth and creamy texture. Pour the filling into the tart crust and place the pie in the fridge or freezer overnight to set.

Serve, garnished with shaved dark chocolate or berries, and eat! 
- Matilda 

No comments:

Post a Comment