Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Raw Buckwheat Porridge


My obsession with Scandinavian food blogs has introduced me to many new ingredients, but my favourite would have to be buckwheat. The nutty flavour of this cereal/seed took me by surprise the first time I tried it and I must admit that I wasn't too keen on it at first. All it took was three mouthfuls and I was hooked. Maybe if it wasn't sold as a "health" product and wasn't priced at aournd $15/kg, I would be afford to be able to incorporate it into my diet more often. But for now, I'll just have to bulk buy when it's on sale and wait patiently when it isn't. This tasty raw buckwheat porridge is one meal of which Pond definitely isn't getting a single bite.   



Raspberry Ripple Buckwheat Porridge(adapted from My New Roots)
Serves 3-4

Ingredients:

1 cup buckwheat groats, soaked overnight
1 Tbsp acidic medium, e.g. lemon juice, apple cider vinegar
½ cup milk of choice (or water)
1 frozen banana
Juice of ½ lemon
½ tsp ground cardamom
3 tsp vanilla essence
Raspberry ripple: 3 cups raspberries + 1 Tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
Extra berries and cacao nibs, for garnish

Directions:

1. Cover buckwheat with warm water and acidic medium, and let sit overnight. The next morning, drain and rinse the buckwheat very well.
2. In a food processor, blend the raspberries and honey until they become a liquid. Set aside 3-4 tablespoons of this puree.
3. Without removing the remaining raspberry puree from the food processor, add in the drained and rinsed buckwheat groats, and all the remaining ingredients. Blend until until th desired consistency is reached (I like to be able to chew mine but you might like it smooth). Add honey to taste.
4. Layer the porridge and raspberry puree in a bowl or glass, then drag a spoon up the side of the glass, to swirl the two shades of pink together (Sarah B from MNR does a far better job of this than me – go check out the original recipe!!). Garnish with berries and cacao nibs.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to two days.

I think next time I might  add in some grated apple at the end to create something similar to Green Kitchen Stories' version of this delicious breakfast, as well as have some fun with the toppings like they suggest!

Matilda

No comments:

Post a Comment